Thursday, June 5, 2008

Writing Proposals - Chapter 8

This chapter on budget basics provides a wealth of information about constructing a budget to include in the proposal, though its greatest wisdom is to consult an accountant. With that said, I have several questions for the accountants in our class, as well as anyone else with budgeting experience. I also wish to point out several ways that this chapter applies to my work beyond the classroom walls.

First, when choosing between the budget considerations of fixed and flexible, how do you factor in time and inflation? The book distinguishes between these two categories on the basis of whether the program has a clear conclusion date or if it is ongoing, yet what is the appropriate amount of time that you can forecast figures? For instance, with the price of oil and plane tickets, would a flexible budget be a more appropriate choice? Again, I’m seeing how even this section requires knowledge of the current situation.

In my own situation, I can see how knowing a little about the elements and presentation of budgets can go a long way in my academic and professional pursuits. Not only would an itemized budge be good practice for a graduate student on a limited income, but perhaps the presentation of a budge can help us secure funds for our research and our travel. Specifically, I’m thinking of the travel grants, called student enrichment grants, offered by the graduate student government each semester. If anyone has had any success with this application process, please share some pointers. In that case, the GSG provides a form to fill out and one section asks for detailed expenses. Any advice about how to calculate the costs for attending a conference, and how to present them in a persuasive way?

I’m also going to have some experience on the other side of the proposal process this summer. For my assistantship, I will be able to participate in the bidding process for a publication that needs printing. Thanks to this chapter I will have a more critical eye toward the budgets that we receive, and I might be able to evaluate them in the terms presented in the chapter. Nevertheless, I think the information is helpful to keep in mind for future projects, even if it is not applicable to a thesis proposal.

No comments: